From the moment John purchased his first golf club from a garage sale for 50¢ at the age of 6, he has loved the game of golf. He believes that golf is a game accessible to anyone and works tirelessly to ensure each of his students enjoys the game at whatever level they strive to play.
John just celebrated 20 years as a Class A PGA Professional. To maintain PGA status, a professional must work in the industry and is required to complete continuing education courses yearly. John has gone beyond the minimum with these additional trainings and certifications:
- USKids Golf Certified Coach – 2016
- Certified Titleist club fitter – ongoing
- Certified Ping club fitter – ongoing
- Certified club repair with Ralph Maltby’s Golf Works 2013
- Attended PGA Teaching/Playing Workshop, January 1995
- Teaching/Playing School, Homosassa, Florida, January 1996
- Aloha Section Teaching Summit, Kapalua Resort, Hawaii, organizer as well as participant, 2000
- PGA Teaching & Coaching Summit, Port St. Lucia, Florida, 2002
- Teaching the Advanced Player Workshop, Orlando, Florida, 2003
- PGA Teaching & Coaching Summit, Port St. Lucia, Florida, 2004
In his career John has seen a lot of students and knows about every piece of equipment on the market. His particular expertise has always been golf instruction and golf equipment. Here’s a bit of his resume:
Director of Instruction
Big Oak Driving Range and Golf Shop, Rochester, New York, 2015 – Present
Golf instruction, club-fitting and sales.
Independent Golf Instructor
Elmira and Vestal, New York, 2001 – present
Golf instruction from beginner to advanced, youth to retirees.
Head Golf Professional
Dick’s Sporting Goods, Vestal, New York, 2008 – July 2014
Golf department equipment specialist in fitting and sales of soft and hard goods.
Head Golf Professional
Elmira Country Club, Elmira, New York, 2001 – December 2008
Upper level manager responsible for all daily and special event golf course operations, including staffing, managing tournaments, scheduling, marshaling course, trouble-shooting.
- Pro Shop owner and manager supplying all hard and soft goods, educating staff and doing club repair. Certified for club fitting by Karsten Manufacturing
- Planning and implementing yearly budget
- Developing, promoting and attracting internal and external events to increase rounds and revenue
- Skilled instructor from beginner to advanced player. Developer of a junior golf program implemented by staff
Senior Teaching Professional
Kapalua Golf Academy, Kapalua Resort, Maui, Hawaii 1999 – 2001
Senior Golf instructor responsible for teaching all students at all levels and ages in private lessons, golf schools, video lessons and playing lessons
- Top Teaching Professional dollar output, 1999, 2000.
- Organized clinics and outings for as many as 120 students ranging from junior golfers to senior citizens and beginner to advanced.
- Responsible for teaching VIP visitors to the resort
Kapalua Plantation Course, Kapalua, Maui, Hawaii 1996-1999
Hard Goods Buyer – inventory control and ordering.
- Rules official for major Aloha Section events.
Manager/Assistant Golf Professional
Chili Country Club, Rochester, New York, August 1991 to March 1996
- Tournament manager overseeing tournament operations of various sizes from as few as 8 to as many as 180.
- Golf operations supervisor directing all golf operations including personnel, golf cart and tournament management.
- Financial manager responsible for $1.8 million overall sales including placing orders, inventory control and daily accounting procedures.
- Nationally recognized in Golf Shop Operations magazine as one of the top 100 pro shops in the nation five out of the previous eight years.
When not playing golf, watching golf, teaching golf, breathing golf, John enjoys hiking and camping with his family, skiing, riding his bike and playing Bridge (gotta do something in the winters in New York!)